Sunday, September 21, 2008

Whew...What a Week!!!

Well, we had a hurricane in Ohio this past week! Yes, that's right...a hurricane!! We left Florida after 10 years of dealing with hurricanes and had more damage to our house from a hurricane in Ohio than we ever had in Florida!

Last Sunday afternoon when we got out of church, it was EXTREMELY windy, but we didn't think much about it. Matt took Avery home and I took Britlyn to the grocery store. As I was getting ready to check out at the store, the power went out and they told us to leave our carts where they were and head out of the store. As I got into my van (and could barely get the door closed because the wind was blowing against it), I got a call from Matt that I needed to get home. He said the side of our house was coming off. I figured a few pieces of siding had come off, but when I pulled in the driveway, there were about 8 neighbors helping Matt as the siding was piece-by-piece coming off of our house and blowing...everywhere!! It was a strange sight...not realizing yet that we were experienceing the remnanats of Hurricane Ike mixed with a cold front coming down from Canada. It was something that rarely happens...but it was happening!

Here are some pictures of the damage to our house:


By Sunday evening when it was all over, nearly a million peope in our area were without power. We only lost it for about 24 hours. My parents were without it for 4 days...and still some people don't have it back after a week!

We were without internet for 6 days...and let me tell you...I need my internet!! Besides the fact, that I work from home...and 99% of my work is on the internet

Glad it's all over! Now....we wait for the insurance company and contractors to get our house fixed...it could be long road!!!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

That damage is crazy! We were lucky and only had a few shingles blow off -- an easy fix. Glad you were safe!